DESIGN OF STRUCTURES 2
Knowledge and understanding:
Aim of the course is to provide the fundamentals for the design of masonry building under seismic actions.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The main skills that students should acquire at the end of the course are:
Achievement of good ability in the structural concepts of new masonry buildings subject to seismic action;
The student will govern the procedure adopted in the current design practice, with a constant link between the theoretical knowledge and the practical applications.
The confidence gained through a constant connection between theoretical knowledge and applications, will allow the student to possess the necessary skills for results presentation.
The student will have to design a masonry building.
It is useful the knowledge of the fundamental of structural engineering
The course treats the fundamentals of un-reinforced masonry structures design under seismic actions.
The contents of the course are listed below:
• General overview of classification of actions on buildings;
• Preliminary concepts of civil engineering seismology and methods of measurement of seismic motion;
• Basic representation of the seismic action, spectral response analysis and lateral force method of analysis;
• Ductility, criteria for structural regularity and behaviour factors;
• Mechanical characterization of masonry;
• Characteristics of earthquake resistant buildings and basic principles of conceptual design of masonry structures;
• Combination of the effects of the components of the seismic action and combination of the seismic action with other actions;
• Redistribution of action effects between masonry seismic walls as a function of the diaphragm behaviour;
• In-plane and out of-plane failure mechanisms in masonry buildings: theory and applications;
• Performance requirements and compliance criteria;
• Design criteria and construction rules for unreinforced masonry buildings: theory and applications;
• Rules for “simple masonry buildings”
T.PAULAY, M.J.N. PRIESTLEY, "Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings", John Wiley & Sons, INC.
All the teaching material is available via the portal “Web LEArning in Ateneo” (LEA UNIPR).
The course consists of lectures, course materials can be downloaded from the portal "Web LEArning in Ateneo". Some exercises will be carried out during the course to enable students to practice with structural analysis of masonry buildings under seismic actions.
Modalità verifica apprendimento
The examination consists in the verification of a masonry un-reinforced structure. The level of students learning can be measured as follows:
Masonry building report: 100% divided as follows:
10% Determination of mechanical properties of masonry and design strengths
10% stiffness centroid evaluation;
10% evaluation of masses associated with gravity loads and mass centroid evaluation;
10% evaluation of regularity in plan and in elevation
10% lateral force method of analysis;
10% redistribution of action effects between masonry seismic walls for earthquake acting along x-direction;
10% redistribution of action effects between masonry seismic walls for earthquake acting along y-direction;
10% combination of the effects of the components of the seismic action and combination of the seismic action with other actions
10% in-plane verification of masonry walls subjected to bending moment and axial force
10% in-plane verification of masonry walls subjected to shear and axial forces
It is strongly recommended to attend lessons.