INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES FOR SUSTAINABLE DESIGN
The goal of the course for the student is to acquire a greater awareness of the relationship that is generated between the elements of activities and spaces, on one hand, and functions of technical elements on the other. The design will have to consider the complexity and framework that affect a construction complex.
- The basics and founding principles of technological culture of design, construction process, building quality, construction complex and construction system;
- Concept of environmental, social and economical sustainability through an interdisciplinary approach;
- User needs, procedures and regulations that define how operators relate to each other during the process;
- Correct use of materials and energetic resources and techniques to obtain optimal conditions for the satisfaction of human needs and high construction quality.
- Building materials proprieties: physical, mechanical, morphological characteristics and their rate of performance; manufacture methods.
- The role of materials, components and building systems in the architectural and technological design, in building process, in the maintenance and management of a building.
- Understanding and management of basic problems in the ideation of the building envelope, in relation to the enclosed spaces, including the interactions with the structural fabric and the technical plans, so to coordinate the different abilities that contribute to the building of a construction complex.
- Technical knowledge to design (and to build) socially, economically and environmental suitably to contexts (where indoor comfort and sustainability as design are priority). Design capability based on balance of user needs, economic limitations and available resources and existing building standards;
- Ability in compared evaluative techniques considering building materials, products and systems related to building environment, to characteristics and qualities of the building process and to building company management models.
The themes developed concern the design tools, the methodologies for the process's control, the traditional and innovative techniques that contribute to the design definition of the architectural work.
The design of the building system is based on the principle of the demand-performance and sustainability approach, primarily environmental one.
See the main page of the course
Vittoria, E. “Unità micro e macro-modulari per la costruzione dell’habitat”, Multigrafica Brunetti, Roma, 1976.
Zaffagnini M. (a cura di), “Progettare nel processo edilizio. La realtà come scenario per l’edilizia residenziale”, Luigi Parma, Bologna, 1981
Banham P.R., “Ambiente e tecnica nell’architettura moderna”, Laterza, Bari, 1978
Sinopoli N., Tatano V., “Sulle tracce dell’innovazione”, FrancoAngeli, Milano
The course is divided into lectures and classroom design work for the development of the design theme.
Modalità verifica apprendimento
Exam drawings: graphic presentation of the project from a technological point of view through drawings made on an adequate scale.
The final evaluation involves the presentation and discussion of the project proposal, demonstrating the knowledge of the topics addressed.