DESIGN OF STRUCTURES 1
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course the student will learn the theoretical bases and the fundamental methodologies for the design and verification of r.c. floors and for the comprehension of the static behavior of some widespread typologies of r.c., masonry and timberstructures
Applying knowledge and understanding
The student should acquire all those skills which are the basis of a conscious design and will be able in a systematic way to fit within the building process.
The student will govern the procedure adopted in the current design practice, with a constant link between the theoretical knowledge and the practical applications.
The confidence gained through a constant connection between theoretical knowledge and applications, will allow the student to possess the necessary skills for results presentation
The student will be able to design the reinforced concrete elements and masonry structures treated during the lessons.
The courses of Statics, Structural mechanics, and Structural Engineering are helpful.
The first part of the course aims to provide the fundamentals for the structural design of reinforced concrete horizontal diaphragms as well as of some widespread typologies of r.c. elements. The second part of the course deals with the design of masonry and timber buildings
The contents of the course are listed below:
1. Design criteria for horizontal diaphragms, and for link structures, in particular:
- Characterization of the most used structural materials: concrete, steel, wood.
- Construction techniques of diaphragms: floors in reinforced concrete, steel, or wood.
- Reinforced concrete floors: dimensions, structural details, design and check.
- Stairs: structural schemes, dimensions, design and checks.
2. Analysis of design features of reinforced concrete elements, such as:
- design for bending and shear of reinforced concrete beams without shear reinforcement, according to limit state method;
3 Design of masonry structures
- mechanical properties of masonry
- Geometry of masonry buildings
- Structural details
- Design of masonry elements.
- Allen, Zalewski, Form and Forces: Designing Efficient, Expressive Structures, Wiley, 2009
-Hendry, Structural Masonry, Palgrave Macmillan; 2nd edn., 1998
- Some slides are available at the web-page of the course
The course is composed of traditional frontal lectures, also with Powerpoint presentations.
Theoretical concepts are applied during the course by carrying out the step-by-step design of a masonry/wood building.
Modalità verifica apprendimento
The exam consists on the oral discussion of the design project given during the frontal lectures. The design project, deals with a very simple building which is designed in reinforced concrete as well as in masonry and timber. The design project is developed individually.
The final score depends 70% on the design project (correct analysis of a case study, ability to apply the concepts given during the cours) 30% on the oral examination (theory and language skills)
As for all the laboratories, attending the courses is required.