What is the Language Placement Test (LPT)
The LANGUAGE PLACEMENT TEST (LPT) is a test used to verify language skills in relation to study abroad, introduced by the University to enable its students interested in participating in European and international mobility calls, both in the European Program ERASMUS+ (KA131 SMS, KA131 SMP, KA171, etc.) and within the University opportunities (OVERWORLD Program, Double Degree Programs, etc.).
Taking the LPT, with the exception of the exemption categories for the required foreign language(s), is mandatory in order to participate in the selection procedures of international mobility calls.
Verification of proficiency is expected for the following languages: ENGLISH, FRENCH, PORTUGUESE, SPANISH, GERMAN.
The expected levels are as follows:
- ENGLISH B1, B2, C1
- FRENCH A2, B1, B2
- SPANISH A2, B1, B2
- GERMAN A2, B1, B2
- PORTUGUESE A1, A2, B1
Conditions of exemption from taking the LPT
Taking the Language Placement Test is strongly recommended to all those who intend to apply for participation in the University Calls for applications for mobility and exchange.
If you intend to take advantage of the exemption from taking the test, depending on the qualification or certification held, it is recommended that you carefully evaluate the language requirements of the destination universities for which you intend to express preference, in order to make sure you have the necessary documentation subsequently, during the application phase, at the assigned foreign University. For these purposes and upon request, the International Relations Division (U.O. Internazionalizzazione) will provide all grantholders with an official declaration of the level achieved in the LPT.
Students meeting one or more of the conditions below are exempted from taking the test. Please note that you must attach documentation proving that you're in the category of exemption.
- students who, at the time of application in one of the international mobility calls, have already passed the language proficiency required by their current course of study. For Bachelor Degrees, the level of proficiency is B1 and is clearly stated on page 1 or page 2 of the Certificate of Examinations Taken (self-certification downloadable online). For Master Degrees, on the other hand, the Certificate does not always show the level obtained; in this case, the related certification must be requested from the relevant student secretariat.
Possession of B1 or B2 eligibility issued by the University is valid limited to those foreign locations that, by language related to the eligibility taken, require a language level of B1 or B2 or less;
- students having obtained a language level certificate from one of the extracurricular language courses (not aimed at eligibility) provided by the University of Parma Language Center, if the possibility of using it for exemption from the LPT is provided for and indicated in the information of the course itself on the Elly CLA portal. The certificate is independently downloadable from the Elly page of the course attended and is valid for these purposes within two years from the date of passing the final test, limited to the language and level of the course;
- students having taken the "BUSINESS ENGLISH B1" exam. The teaching "BUSINESS ENGLISH B1" is recognized as equivalent to "English language B1";
- students having taken the "BUSINESS ENGLISH B2" exam. The teaching "BUSINESS ENGLISH B2" is recognized as equivalent to "English language B2";
- students having taken the "ENGLISH FOR ENGINEERING" exam. The "ENGLISH FOR ENGINEERING" is recognized as equivalent to "English language level B1". The teaching "ENGLISH FOR ENGINEERING" at LM level is recognized as "English language level B2";
- students enrolled in one of the University of Parma's study courses taught entirely in English, provided that apply for locations where English language use (either as a native or vehicular language) is expected and the required level is at or below the level actually achieved. In this case, the student does not have to show any certification, since competence has already been verified by the Course of Study
- students enrolled in the degree program in Modern Foreign Languages and Civilization, according to the table provided by the DUSIC Department available
- students who have earned an official language certification meeting the requirements indicated HERE. Certificates are considered valid if acquired within a period of 5 years from the date of release.
- students having as their mother tongue the same language used in the chosen destination location (in this case, the student must attach a copy of the passport to the application for the mobility call in which he/she is participating);
- students enrolled in the degree course in "CONTEMPORARY COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA FOR CREATIVE INDUSTRIES" and having taken the "English Language and Translation (1005558)" exam. Teaching is recognized as competence "English Language B1".
The certification proving the exemption from the LPT must be attached to the mobility application in esse3 in PDF format (readable copies, screenshots and scans are accepted) and it may be required to show the original document at a later time.
The LPT is organized by the University Language Centre, which takes care of administering the tests. For any further information related to the mobility and exchange Calls for Applicants please address your request to the University International Relations Division (U.O. Internazionalizzazione).
For the 2023/2024 mobility and exchange calls, the scheduled dates of the Language Placement Test are as follows:
- FEBRUARY 7, 2023
- FEBRUARY 8, 2023
- FEBRUARY 9, 2023
- FEBRUARY 10, 2023
Registration for the sessions listed above is open from 10 to 31 JANUARY 2023.
Please note: the outcome of this test is valid only for applications for mobility notices for the 2023/2024 academic year.